How to reset flash counter in Samsung Note 4
Galaxy Note 4 is one of the newest Samsung’s top models. As well as other flagships, this phone has a lot of security features, which sometimes complicate life of typical user. For example, Samsung decided to make some of files unwritable, when user integration into system (like root) is detected. Because of that, resetting flash counter using Chainfire’s TriangleAway application is not possible anymore.
Flash counter makes nothing itself and has no influence on the device, but can be used as a reason for refusal of warranty repair by authorized service.
Here are steps to reset flash counter on <(…)BOE3 ROM (they are the same for all ROMs except point 4., which needs firmware specific file):
- Download TriangleAway.
- Open APK as a ZIP and extract: assets/triangleaway.png (file).
- Copy triangleaway.png file into system/xbin folder on your phone and set 755 permissions.
- Download and flash with ODIN this FILE, which will change binary status in download mode to official value.
- Reboot your device and flash TWRP using dd install method(!).
- Reboot into recovery mode. Choose option Mount, and check System, then select Advanced>Terminal Command>Select and type: system/xbin/triangleaway.png –reset. Press Go button. As you can see, your flash counter has been reset!
- Now reboot into download mode and flash again file from point 4. or full stock ROM.